Establishing Residency

Please read the following information regarding residency requirements for Kellyville Schools.

Procedure For Implementing Residency Policy

A. Verification of Residence

1.  General Statements

Students enrolling in the Kellyville Public Schools will be required to provide a verifiable proof of residency.

The parent ("Parent" as used throughout this document, refers to the parent, guardian, or person having legal custody) will be asked to provide a current utility bulling, a lease agreement, contract on a home, warranty deed statement, ad valorem tax statement, or mortgage statement.  The school accept current gas, electric, or water and sewer billings.  Telephone and television cable billings will not be accepted.  If a utility billing is not available, the school will accept a statement from the utility company that services have been established.  The letter must be on letter head and signed by an appropriate official.  These documents must have a physical address, not just a PO Box number.


 2. Students Moving Out of the Kellyville District

It is the parent's responsibility to timely inform a child's school if the child's legal address changes from the district's attendance area during a school year.  If the student has been legally enrolled in Kellyville Schools for the current year, enrollment may continue through the current school year, but basic residency requirements must be met for the following year.


3.  Students New to the Kellyville District

Parents seeking to re-enroll a child in the Kellyville School District from another school district and are in the process of completing construction/closing on their residence within the district at the time of fall enrollment must establish their residence within forty-five (45) school days of membership in the school in order to enroll as residents.

Proofs of impending move must be provided upon enrollment.  The submitted contract document must provide the following information/verification: (1) the residence is located withing the school district, (2) the stated closing/occupancy date falls within the forty-five school days of membership, and (3) terms of the contract verify that earnest money is being held in escrow toward the purchase/ease of the residence.

A student may be required to forfeit enrollment in the Kellyville School District if the family has not occupied the Kellyville residence within forty-five (45) days of the membership.


4.  Residence Affidavit: "Homeless Provision"

Parents who cannot provide the necessary information to verify their address because they are residing with a friend or relative on a temporary or permanent residence has been established with the Kellyville School District or documentation that they temporary residence has been established as the student's permanent residence.

Residence affidavits will be available at the school site.  Both the homeowner/resident and the parent of the student aret to present themselves in person at the school to complete the affidavit, and each must provide a valid driver's license.  The homeowner/resident must provide a proof of residence as required for all new students.  The student's parent will be expected to provide a final utility statement form their previous residence and documentation that the residence has been sold or that the lease has expired.

A child will not be enrolled until all necessary documentation has been provided and verified.  Building administrators will be responsible for initiating the thirty (30) day follow-up on all residence affidavits.


5. Legal Guardianship

The Kellyville Public Schools will enroll students who hold legal residence within the district.  Custody affidavit forms, notarized affidavits obtained form the custodial parent giving care and custody to another individual, or power of attorney documents will not be accepted except as otherwise outlined within this policy.

If a divorce has been granted, the decree will state which parent has legal custody.  If the decree awards joint custody, and each parent contributes in "substantial degree" to the child's support while they custody, then the residence in which the child resides on a regular basis determines the legal residency of the child for school attendance.